November 8, 2006

Family history uncovered!

For years, I was told by my mother that I had a great, great grandfather who was very influential in the making of the state of Wisconsin and also in the American/Czechoslovakian relationship. She told me that President Cleveland appointed him United States consul to Prague and that there was a statue in honor of him in Racine, WI. I tried for years to find out what his name was, what he did, etc., and I finally uncovered the mystery. I always thought his last name was "Salak," like my mother's maiden name. Turns out that his name was Charles (Karel) Jonas. He and his wife, Christine, had a daughter named Carrie. Carrie married Charles Salak and together they had a son who they named Charles Karel Salak, who was my mother's father! This is all so interesting to me. Right now, I am trying to find a photo of the statue of him located in Racine, Wisconsin. Maybe I'll just have to go there myself and take a picture with our trusty Kodak!

Here's a photo of my great, great grandfather, Charles (Karel) Jonas:
If you would like to read the history of this important man, click on the following link:
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/scripts/data/
database.cgi?file=Data&report=SingleArticle&ArticleID=0034117

No comments: