July 1, 2011

A baby in the backyard...

At 6:30 this morning a lovely view of our backyard presented itself from my kitchen window. While I made the coffee, a mother robin flew back and forth among the Leyland Cypress trees that separate our yard from the neighbor's. She kept it up for such a long time that I decided to take a closer look...

As soon as I opened the back screen door, she flew away, leaving her little baby among the pine branches...

He was sleeping as I approached...
... but quickly snapped to attention at the click of my camera!

I was concerned that the little fella had fallen out of the nest and couldn't fly.  Herod, the neighborhood fox, would be certain to find such a vulnerable creature - and that would be the end of the story.  But, as soon as he saw me move, Robin flew away into the Maple tree in the neighbors yard! 

No comments: