August 25, 2006

The Project...

Well, here it is - my BIG project. And believe me, it is a big project. It took me a while to find the right type of fabric, but when I did I had to purchase NINE yards! I plan to make the view seen in the lower right hand corner with the tie seen in the view above it. Although I do like the golden-colored dress, it's just a little bit to plain.


I looked EVERYWHERE for fabric that looked Civil War-ish. Everytime I found something I liked the cost was anywhere from $9.99 to $24.99 per yard - not at all what I was willing to spend on nine yards of material. Here's the fabric I finally found at a wonderful fabric store called Fabricade. It's a rich mallard green with veins of black. It has sweet little bundles of flowers on a dime-sized, creamy background. I did some research on what fabric looked like in 1863, and this print comes pretty close to several swatches that I saw. My final cost? Just about $25.00. Tell me what you think!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it.

Anonymous said...

I would have went with tafetta....but that is just MHO!

Mary said...

I like taffeta too, but if you check Civil War history, you will find that it was quite uncommon. It was reserved for the rich and generally worn to a ball or other high ocassion. This dress will be worn to a Civil War times re-enactment and I wanted the fabric to be as authentic to the day as possible and to represent the more common folk, this material does all of that. Thanks for your ideas, I love it when people send their thoughts my way!

Anonymous said...

I understand - Again, just MHO - if you're going for a day dress, this pattern of fabric could be another option.

http://www.reproductionfabrics.com/lines.php?subcat=622

BTW - Just got the Apples of Gold in the mail and enjoyed reading your testimony.

TTYL!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and here's another site I came across that gives detail to the hairstyle and clothing style of that era

http://www.freewebs.com/thecivilwarlady/theeverydaydress.htm

Anonymous said...

I like it, don't worry about the taffeta. This is fine. You'll look beautiful, I'm sure.